Zion Lutheran Church
|Town or Locality:||Gawler|
According to Bev Burke's research The Zion Lutheran Church was built 1921-20, the Hall built in 1954 and the Manse built 1917.
In 1899, several Lutheran families gathered for weekly worship at the home of J.W. Kurtz, 23 Main Street, Willaston. A year or so later, those Lutherans moved to the “Little Glory” Primitive Methodist Church at the corner of Finniss and Dundas Sts in Gawler. While their congregation was named “The Evangelical Lutheran Zion Church at Gawler, it was generally known as the Zion Lutheran Church. Numbering 83 in 1908, they purchased the “Little Glory” church. Outgrowing that church, they built in 1922 the larger Zion Lutheran Church across Dundas Street and with access from Cowan Street. The large stained glass window was installed in 1947 [25th Anniversary] and the balcony to increase the seating capacity was added in 1964, Membership reached 500 in 1967.
After the Zion and Immanuel Lutheran congregations amalgamated in 2016 to form the Gawler LUTHERAN Church, both worship centres continue to be used.
To view more photos click here
Click Here to view the Zion Lutheran Church Gawler Centenary book 2008