Rudall and Rudall, 25 Murray Street
|Address:||25 Murray Street|
|Town or Locality:||Gawler|
The "Bank of South Australia" opened this impressive office in 1859. Beginning in 1857, this bank was the first branch of a bank in Gawler with George Fife Angas holding the first account.
The building is of Italianate style featuring a stucco finish, stone quoins, a semi-circular arch entrance flanked by neo-Grecian columns and single and double arch windows with keystones and shutters.
The original bank vault featured a large water tank under the floor to discourage underground break-ins. The front fence has a rendered wall and pillars with iron palisades.
The building was purchased in 1892 by the Union Bank and in 1928 by Rudall & Rudall solicitors.
Click here to view photos of 25 Murray Street.
- Town of Gawler Heritage Project 2003