Pine Lodge Duffield Street
|Also known as:||Pine Lodge|
|Address:||5 Duffield Street|
|Town or Locality:||Gawler East|
Please click here for photos of Pine Lodge.
Pine Lodge, 5 Duffield Street, Gawler East 1872
Pine Lodge was built with servants' quarters and conduit in the walls and ceilings to run wire-pulled flag signals to summon servants. The rear entrance lobby and the bay window in the upper north-west room were added later. The ceilings on the upper level are 12'8" high and on the lower are 10'10". The walls on the lower level are 17" thick local limestone and 14" on the upper. The floors are Baltic pine with joists 18" apart on the upper level and concrete on the lower level.
The grounds have a park-like quality. They are secluded, surrounded by trees, in the heart of Gawler.
The estate enjoys panoramic views over Gawler and the plains, and yet is almost in the main shopping street. Nearby houses are set in large grounds with tall trees. On the Northern side, is a view across a gully to Martindale, formerly the residence of James Martin, which overlooked the 18 acres of his foundry and workshops on High St where farm machinery locomotives and architectural castings were produced.
On the other side of Duffield St to the east, Martindale's former coach house or worker's quarters has been converted into a two story home set in 4 acres of gully planted out to native trees. To the west the land falls away sharply about a hundred feet down to High St and provides a picture postcard scene of Gawler stretched out below, and beyond that, the southern Adelaide plains.
The grounds retain some original native pines that stood before settlement. The original garden was planted with shrubs, pepper trees, Aloe Vera, and succulents. Flowering bulbs were planted later. Early this century exotic pines were planted at the front of the building and along Duffield St. Hundreds of native plants have been added since.
HISTORY In 1851, 12 years after Light Finniss and Co produced the Gawler Town Plan and a land grant was made to Gawler's original Scottish proprietors, the plan of Gawler East was lodged with the Land Titles Office. In 1855, The Exchange Hotel was built. In 1857, Gawler was incorporated and the rail link to Adelaide completed.
In 1858, Frederick Harrison acquired the land on which Pine Lodge now stands. After his death in 1861, it passed back to William Paxton one of the original promoters of Gawler East. In 1865, Paxton disposed of all his East Ward holding to individual buyers.
T.J. Markey bought the land together with two half acre blocks to the south extending from High St to Duffield St. and built a shed on High St. His machine shop was opposite on the other side of the road between High St and Murray St. He was born in Ponsanooth Cornwall in 1824 and was an office bearer and preacher at the Wesleyan Church.
Thomas Fotheringham bought the land from him in 1871 and built Pine Lodge in 1872. Thomas was born in County Clackmannan, Scotland in 1829. He came to Gawler in 1856 to join his older and younger brothers James and Robert, in Fotheringham’s Brewery on Julian Terrace, and in their wine and spirit business. He married Emily Morgan, a sister of Sir William Morgan and they had three children. He was active in the race club, which preceded the Gawler Jockey Club formed in 1892.
The youngest brother, Robert, a genial and popular man was born in Ayrshire, Scotland in 1831. He came over in 1855 to join James in the brewery. In 1868 he moved to Kapunda.
The eldest brother, James, was born in Scotland in 1817 and arrived in South Australia in 1838. He was one of Gawler's 12 original proprietors and in 1839 held 300 acres altogether with John Lindsay Patterson. In 1840, he had 1/4 acre wheat and 1/4 acre maize and an acre of potatoes, 20 acres fenced with rails and posts, a house, dairy and stockyards. He was a popular and energetic man. He married Caroline Eliza and moved to 9 Duffield St in 1865 where they lived for one and a half years. James died 1866 at the age of 49. In 1868 Eliza bought the house and leased it to James Ferguson.
In 1854, the Presbyterian congregation started to meet in Fotheringham’s malt house on or next to the site of the present Church in Murray St.
In 1866 Thomas took over the business and opened a spirit store. He owned the Exchange Hotel and property south of it and the South End Hotel and land to the south in Murray Street. Thomas died in 1894 at the age of 65 after 23 years in Pine Lodge.
Emily let Pine Lodge that year to R.J. Lavis who was born in Adelaide on 18 March 1860. He had worked for Good Toms and Co before moving to Gawler in 1890. Acting on the advice of Mr. Hooper he bought S.F.Bayley's general store in Pile Buildings which had been built in 1878 at the northern end of Murray St. In 1901 he sold the business to H.B.Crosby (the Hoopers' son in law) and went to Adelaide to work for Matthew Good and Co. On the tenth of April 1902 there was a farewell social held after his 11 years of active service in Gawler. He later bought Hooper's Furnishing Arcade on the corner of Hindley St and Leigh St. He was President of the Baptist Union and member of the Adelaide Literary Society and a foundation member of the Adelaide YMCA.
Emily died in 1899 and Sydney Fotheringham ran the brewery and hotels, administered by her trustees. The South Australian Brewing Co bought the brewery in 1932.
Hannah Barnet bought Pine Lodge in 1899. She was born in 1843. Her husband William (1834 -1895) was born in at Kinross, Kinrosshire, Scotland. He had arrived in South Australia in 1854 and Gawler in 1857. In 1863, he founded the Local newspaper "The Bunyip" which is still run by their descendants. Hannah died in 1921 aged 78 after living there for 22years. Their three daughters Emily (1865-1925), Florence, and Ruby continued to live there. It was in Ruby's name from 1929 until her death around 1950 or so. She had lived at Pine Lodge for 50 years. There was an auction of its valuable and impressive contents. A pedal organ and dog tag from 1916 were given to the current owner recently.
It was unoccupied for about 4 years during which time some fittings disappeared, but the building was undamaged. From 1955 to 1959, Mrs. Murphy ran it as a boarding house.
From 1959 to 1979, it was home to Rob and Judy Martin Adelaide restaurant operators and their 3 daughters, horses and goats. They sold the acre of land on the southern boundary to a machine tool dealer and his wife. They had been searching for the ideal location to build the 25 square colonial style, 2 level house they had designed for a hill top setting and incorporating the architectural fittings they had been collecting. This left the estate with the grounds originally held by Frederick Harrison in 1860.
- John Brasted