NAB Building, 66 Murray Street
|Also known as:||National Austalia Bank|
|Address:||66 Murray Street|
|Town or Locality:||Gawler|
|Year constructed:||c. 1881|
The imposing structure at 66 Murray Street was built in 1881-1882 for the National Bank of Australasia and has been the branch HQ since that time. Being of Italianate design it has a number of features including the second story parapet and well proportioned rendering. The cast iron fence remains as original. The architect was Daniel Garlick who was a prominent S.A. architect and designed several significant buildings. (This was part of the Town of Gawler Heritage Project 2003)
The National Bank of Australasia began operation in Gawler in 1859. On 1st October 1981 it merged with the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney Limited and became known as National Australia Bank with the acronym NAB now in common use.
Please click here to see photos of 66 Murray Street/NAB Building.