May Bros and Co
|Type of organisation:|| Business
[RHr] Alfred May born 5th December 1852 (died 22nd September 1920) arrived in Australia in 1858.
May Brothers & Co. Limited was established in July 1885 by Frederick May and Alfred May, and ultimately occupied Lots 8 - 14 in Eighteenth Street, Lots 19 and 20 [25 to 27 Nineteenth Street], and Lots 11 and 12 in Twenty Third Street (showroom).
The business began with a handful of men and one building near the Gawler Railway Station in Gawler South. Within a very short time orders were rolling in and the business was expanded: extra land was purchased, more buildings were erected, engaging up to 300 employees.
What began as a small company producing strippers and seed sowers grew to a large manufacturing concern which produced smelting, crushing, pumping and winding plants. Orders were received from far and wide, including the other states of Australia, New Caledonia and British Columbia. Prominent customers included mining companies of Broken Hill and the smelting operations of Port Pirie.
After the death of Frederick May in 1897, Alfred May continued the business until, in 1924, it was wound up.
May Bros were plagued by strikes and considered moving the business to Port Adelaide. Gawler was considered to be the most unionized town in SA.
Please Click Here to watch a video presentation by Andrew May on 21/04/2016
- History of Gawler 1837-1908 compiled by E. H. Coombe pp. 97-101.