James Martin Phoenix Foundry Site
|Town or Locality:||Gawler East|
|Used for:||Machinery Engineering|
The site of the James Martin Phoenix Foundry in Gawler occupied some 18 acres, mainly on the corner of High Street and Calton Road, but during its history did occupy buildings and yards on High Street through to Murray Street and on the western side of Murray Street.
The facility included blast furnaces, a foundry, engineering workshops, paint shop, carpentry workshop, material storage areas, finished product storage areas, offices, drawing office, pattern making room, moulding shop, showroom and areas for the workers.
In 1896 the was a serious strike called by the engineers.
- Hirst. J. B.. 'Martin. James (1821–1899)'. Australian Dictionary of Biography. National Centre of Biography. Australian National University. http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/martin-james-4162/text6681
- History of Gawler 1837 - 1908. E H Coombe. 1978 Print ISBN 0 85872 224 0