Immanuel Lutheran Church
|Address:||Cnr Second St & Seventh Street|
|Town or Locality:||Gawler South|
Corner of Second and Seventh St.
In 1850, several Lutheran families living in the Gawler River area formed a Lutheran congregation and worshipped in a timber church they built in Buchsfelde. Another group of Lutherans formed a congregation at North Gawler in 1920 and worshipped in the Burrow home in Warren Street, before they built their church in 1921 near the Gawler Central Railway Station. They were then named “Zion Lutheran Church North Gawler”. In 1927, the Buchsfelde Lutherans joined those at North Gawler to form a single congregation of 66 members.
Outgrowing the church at North Gawler, they built and moved into the larger Immanuel Lutheran church in 1963 at the corner of Second and Seventh Streets, Gawler South.
The congregation was re-named “Immanuel Lutheran Church Gawler”. Membership reached 400 in 1992. After the Immanuel and Zion Lutheran congregations amalgamated in 2016, to form the Gawler Lutheran Church, both worship centres continued to be used.