Dawkins Hon John Samuel Letts MLC
|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth|| 1954
John was born in Gawler in 1954.
John grew up on a farm at Gawler River and attended Prince Alfred College and Gawler High for his secondary years. Also attending Glenormiston Agricultural College and studying an Associate Diploma in Farm Management, as well as Adelaide TAFE studying Freelance Journalism.
Before being elected to Parliament, John became a Primary Producer later on following on to become an Electorate Officer to Hon Neil Andrew MP, Hon Alexander Downer MP and Senator the Hon Nick Minchin. John was involved in the farming of Stud Dorset and Suffolk Sheep at Gawler River. He was also involved with a range of agricultural groups including the Australian Society of Breeders of British Sheep (SA Branch) He was then elected to the Legislative Council in the South Australian Parliament on 11/10/1997. John has been the Opposition Whip in the Upper House since 2002.
John is a Justice of the Peace and in 2006 John was awarded a Paul Harris Fellowship from Rotary International. John has been involved with many community activities. To list a few:
- • Rotary Club of Gawler
- • Two Wells Football & Netball Sporting Club
- • Adelaide Plains Football League
- • Salvation Army Red Shield Appeal
- • Operation Flinders
- • Gawler River Uniting Church
- • Gawler Tourism and Trade Authority
- • Northern Agricultural Shows Association
John is currently serving on committees such as:
- • Joint Parliamentary Service Committee
- • Natural Resources Committee
- • Select Committee on the Inquiry into the Corporation of the City of Burnside
- • Select Committee on Lonsdale- Based Adelaide Desalination Plant
John has been the Liberal Spokesman for Suicide Prevention, Legislative Council Opposition Whip, and Joint Liberal Party Secretary. In April 2018 John was selected to head a new Liberal Party suicide prevention Council as the Premier's Advocate.
John enjoys his work along with the company of his two recent Grandchildren.
Please click here to see more photos of John Dawkins.