Dawe - Alfred Richard
|Type of person|| Individual
|Date of death||1995|
Alf lived all his life in Gawler and only ventured over the border of South Australia on visits to Mildura and Broken Hill. The Dawe family home was a two storey building with a shop front in Murray Street, northern side of the South Australian State Bank.
He married Ruby Williams in 1939 and settled into the Old Bakery house in Cameron Street where they had 3 children and lived their entire married life until Alf died in 1995. Ruby remained in the home until 2010, and then moved to her daughter Pamela’s home for two years before going into Eldercare at Evanston. Their home was sold in 2011.
Alf attended Gawler Primary and ended his formal education at grade 7. He worked at various places in and around Gawler, beginning at the Gawler Flour Mill, Gawler Picture Theatre, Hamilton’s Menswear Store, Simpson’s Factory, Parafield Airfield, and Dawkin’s Plumbing, before carrying on the Dawe Plumbing business from his father. Alf’s grandson, Mark Coleman is the present proprietor.
Alf loved and served the Town of Gawler in various avenues, being a member of the Gawler Town band, a Town councillor for over 25 years, a trustee in the Uniting Church (then Methodist) and served on the Gawler Primary School Parents & Friends Assoc.
Alf made the lamp that now makes up the arch over the Library entrance in Murray Street. He made himself available for many pro-bono tasks over many years.
Compiled by Pamela Wilson [nee Dawe]
Please click here to see photos of Alf Dawe.
- Compiled by Pamela Wilson nee Dawe