Craiglea High Street 25
|Address:||25 High St|
|Town or Locality:||Gawler|
Craiglea was owned by Dr W.H. Popham (1820 - 1871) who migrated from Ireland in 1853, settled at Glenelg, but who shifted to Gawler in 1858 . Popham used to fire a cannon from his front garden to announce to the town that the mail from England had arrived. The mail was brought to Gawler by horse, to Dean's store which was also the Post Office until 1863 when it was transferred to the Telegraph Office at 59 Murray Street.
On his death, his son Dr Francis William Home Popham lived there until he died in 1903.
Please click here to view photos of Craiglea.