|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||1823|
|Place of birth||Boston, Lincolnshire, England|
|Date of arrival||1856|
|Date of departure||1889|
|Date of death||1908|
|Place of decease||Parkside|
Edward Clement - Mayor 1869-70
Arriving in South Australia in 1854, and in Gawler two years later, Edward Clement was born in Boston, Lincolnshire, England on July 19, 1823 to Edward Gottlieb and Hannah Clement. Initially an auctioneer in the town, he subsequently became a chaff produce merchant. Edward's first wife, Sarah Woodward, died in 1866 and was the first interments at the Willaston Cemetery. Three years later he married Julia Weaver at St. Marys, and they had eight children.
His home was situated on the corner of Jacob and Reid Streets and in c1872 he planted the tree which eventually became Gawler's Christmas Tree, and used as such until it was cut down in 2012.
Clement owned one of the two omnibuses that commenced running between Gawler and the railway station in 1864, the old Celerity. Also in 1864, with Mr. James Martin, Edward was appointed trustee for “the purpose of conveying certain lands donated by the proprietors of the Gawler Special Survey”.
Described in George Loyau’s Gawler Handbook as one of the town’s most “vigorous” citizens, Mr. Clement was heavily involved with many of Gawler’s activities, he was a committeeman and President of the Gawler Institute – donating the foundation stone for its erection, was treasurer of the Gawler Branch of the Bible Society, Lieutenant of the Gawler Rifles under Captain James Martin, a member of the Agricultural Society and of the Gawler School Board of Advice, as well as being a trustee of the Gawler Methodist Church and President of the Gawler Temperance League.
A councillor through the 1860s, and Mayor in 1869 and 1870, Edward moved to Adelaide in 1889 and conducted business there, after he and his wife received a public farewell and presentation from the citizens of Gawler. Also a Justice of the Peace and hotellier, Mr. Clement died at Parkside on October 19, 1908, and is buried in West Terrace Cemetery in Adelaide.