Church of the Transfiguration, Adelaide Road
|Town or Locality:||Gawler South|
E.H.Coombe "History of Gawler" p176 "The Church of the Transfiguration - Gawler South. This church began its existence in 1895. The foundation stone was laid by Mrs. Dawes on April 3 of that year, and the church dedicated on its completion by Bishop Harmer on August 7 1895.
Canon Coombs, rector of St. Georges Church, had charge of the church with Rev.A.K.Chignell (assisting curate).....the furniture has all been presented at various times.....sanctuary chair and two pictures, the Rev. A.K.Chignell...."
Built in 1895 in stages. The new roof was installed in 1995 for the centenary celebrations.
Outside gardens re-created in 2009 with existing bottle brush and some shrubs retained but primarily planted with grasses and shrubs which are generally indigenous to Gawler, under the supervision of GEHA and NRM personnel.
It is intended that more substantial additional plantings will take place mid-2012. Any enquiries - Brian Thom
There are many photos related to Church of the Transfiguration, please click here to view them.
Trix McConnell's memories of the parish are recorded in "Looking Back 150 years".
"The Church of the Transfiguration" by Beatrice McConnell