|Type of organisation:|| Business
HISTORY OF AMES HARDWARE
The late Gordon Ames opened up business in early 1950’s at No. 34 – 36 Murray Street, Gawler (next to the Kingsford Hotel).
In 1890’s it was occupied by Mr. F. Fowler, cabinet maker and undertaker.
In the 1930’s to early 1940’s it was a drapery store run by A. D. Jordan and Son.
Gordon retired in 1972 and the business was purchased by the partnership of his brother Lionel Ames, Edward Manning and Kevin Howard, when the trading name of Ames Hardware was established on 1st July, 1972.
Lionel retired in 1974 and sold his share to the other two partners.
In 1980, the business was relocated to No. 48 Murray Street, being a temporary move to enable the original building to be largely demolished, except for the front façade, to make way for a large, modern store.
During the period of re-building the business grew and was not large enough for the full range of stock, so the store was worked from two locations.
Edward was the longest serving staff, having started his employment in 1959 when leaving school.
The hardware store started off independently, but joined the Homestead group in the late 1970’s.
In 1992 the business changed banners to become a Home Hardware store. Beverley Manning and Cath Howard were employees in the office side of the business, and over the years local people formed an experienced staff, namely George Scotland, Andrew Mells, Trevor Korber, Shane Gray, Sean Oldman, Margaret Little, Graeme Newbery, Max Graetz and Jane Howard. Edward and Kevin closed the doors on 1st August, 1998.
Please click here to see many more photos of Ames hardware over the years.