Join Here

Join up to edit this article or to create one yourself. It takes just a moment and it's free

How to use this wiki site

Learn more about how this wiki works here.

Produced by

Gawler History Team Inc.

Supported by

SweetTechnology9.gif

National Trust of South Australia

In Gawler now

Loading 

 

Taylor and Forgie Funeral Directors

From Gawler
(Redirected from Taylor and Forgie)
Jump to: navigation, search
Fast Facts
Type of organisation: Business
Street number: 15
Street name: Cowan
Street suffix: Street
Town or locality: Gawler
Date established: 1855
Established by: WS Taylor
Business or purpose: Carpenters, builders and undertakers
Loading map...
http://www.taylorandforgie.com.au/

The business of Taylor & Forgie has not always borne that name and they were not always funeral directors.

William Stephen Taylor was about thirty years of age in 1855 when he began the business Taylor & Ponder, carpenters and builders, in partnership with John Ponder. In 1865, Ponder moved to Kapunda and a new partnership between Taylor and Alexander Forgie was formed. This is when the business known as Taylor & Forgie was founded. Some time after this (possibly in the early 1870s), Taylor and Forgie extended their business to include undertaking in addition to carpentry and building.

After the retirement of W S Taylor in 1882, he was replaced in the business by his brother Henry Charles Taylor. The partnership between Taylor and Forgie was dissolved in 1901 after the death of Alexander Forgie and at that time his two sons, Alexander Philip Forgie and James Forgie took over the operation of the business. The Taylor and Forgie horse drawn hearse was made by Blake Coach-builders in Balaklava.

Taylor & Forgie were the most active builders and carpenters in Gawler during the latter half of the nineteenth century and into the twentieth century. They built numerous houses in Gawler and were responsible for substantial additions to the Gawler Institute, the Police Station, the Old Spot Hotel, Taylor Brothers Butter factory and Sheard's Drapers (Essex House). As undertakers, Taylor & Forgie were responsible for the burial of many of Gawler's prominent residents such as James Martin (1899), James Pile (1885), David Fotheringham (1898) and Thomas Mankey (1872).

Taylor & Forgie's first premises were located in Tod Street, Gawler.

Please click here for photos relating to Taylor and Forgie.
Please Click Here to read Max Fatchen's tribute to Taylor and Forgie.

Related Articles

Sources

  • "History of Gawler 1837-1908" compiled by E H Coombe
  • "The Bunyip"
  • The "South Australian Register"
Taylor & Forgie Undertakers, Tod Street
Taylor & Forgie Undertakers, Tod Street
Taylor & Forgie, Tod Street - 1906
Taylor & Forgie, Tod Street - 1906
Taylor & Forgie Hearse
Taylor & Forgie Hearse
Taylor and Forgie 150th Commemoration
Taylor and Forgie 150th Commemoration
Taylor and Forgie Funeral Parlour, 15 Cowan Street
Taylor and Forgie Funeral Parlour, 15 Cowan Street
Leader Newspaper 29Jan2014
Leader Newspaper 29Jan2014
Gizelle Forgie Corporate Citizen of the Year Australia Day 2014
Gizelle Forgie Corporate Citizen of the Year Australia Day 2014

Memories of Taylor and Forgie Funeral Directors

Do you remember Taylor and Forgie Funeral Directors ? Then Join up and add your memory here.

Print Print    Subscribe by RSS Subscribe by RSS

Bookmark and Share